Washington State Training and Technical Assistance
Competitive integrated employment for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities has been our focus for over 30 years in WA State. We provide training, technical assistance (TA) and collaborative projects that engage stakeholders at the local and state level to assure that employment services are available to ensure access to employment opportunities.
Example areas of TA and Training include:
- Assistive and Information Technology
- Leadership and Organizational Development
- Navigating the Service System, System Improvements and Policy Implementation
- Person Centered Employment Planning
- Goal Development and Employment Plan Writing
- Autism and Employment
- Functional assessments and designing positive behavior support plans for people in crisis or at risk of losing access to the community
- Customized Employment Strategies and Core Supported Employment Training
- Large Employer Initiatives
- Job Coaching and Natural Supports
- Systematic Instruction and building natural supports
- Understanding Benefits: Social Security, Medical, and Associated Work Incentives
Many of the topics for transition-aged youth are the same as the topics of focus mentioned above.
Additional topics include but are not limited to:
- Career Portfolios
- Best Practices in School to Work
- Marketing Transition Programs to Employers
- Guardianship and Trusts
- Building a Whole Life
- Navigating the School System
- Using Social Media
- Developing and Supporting Students in Employment
- Person Centered Career Planning Related to the IEP
- School based consultations on successful transition between school and adult services
Quality employment services, will you know it when you see it?
Learn more here.
Employment supports performance outcome information system
Learn more here.
People Working Videos
Watch the videos here.
Washington State Transition Conference
2017 Washington State Assistive Technology Conference
Meet at the Mountain
WISE staff are assigned to every county in WA to coordinate annual TA plans as follows:
- Cesilee Coulson: San Juan, Whatcom, Skagit, Island, Clark and Skamania
- Susan Harrell: State of WA DDA, Okanogan, Pierce and Kitsap
- Deb McLean: Klickitat, Kittitas, Grant, Chelan and Douglas
- Cathy Sacco: Stevens, Ferry, Pend Oreille, Lincoln, Spokane
- Jim Corey: Walla Walla, Columbia, Garfield, Asotin, Klickitat, Adams and Whitman
- Brandi Monts: Klickitat, Grant, Benton and Franklin, Cowlitz, Wahkiakum, Grays Harbor, Pacific, Lewis, Thurston, Mason, Jefferson, Clallam, Yakima, Kittitas
- Monica McDaniel: King and Snohomish
- Jaimie Laitinen: King School to Work
The WISE coordination team meets monthly to share strategies, discuss activities happening and to coordinate the delivery of training and technical assistance on behalf of the state and counties.